In May 2011, the Recycling Regulation was amended to include Packaging and Printed Paper as a product category. By May 2014 producers of Packaging and Printed Paper are required to implement a stewardship program for the collection and recycling packaging and printed paper in BC.
Producers include manufacturer, distributor and/or first seller of packaging or printed paper whose products enter British Columbia.
Multi-Material BC has been formed that includes:
•Retail Council of Canada (RCC)
•Food and Consumer Products of Canada (FCPC)
•Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers (CFIG)
•Canadian Restaurant and Food Services Association (CRFA)
•Canadian Newspaper Association (CNA)
Canadian Cosmetic and Specialty Products Association (CCSPA)
The BC Dairy Council
BC Lottery Corporation
Multi-Material British Columbia (MMBC) is hosting a workshop, with simultaneous webcast, to present information compiled during Phase 1 of MMBC’s activities to develop a stewardship program for residential packaging and printed paper in British Columbia.
The workshop/webcast is of importance to all stakeholders with an interest in the future stewardship program for residential packaging and printed papers including:
- producers of packaging and printed paper supplied to residential customers in British Columbia;
- local governments;
- private businesses providing collection, processing and/or marketing of residential packaging and printed paper;
- not-for-profit organizations providing collection, processing and/or marketing of residential packaging and printed paper;
- environmental and other non-government organizations with an interest in recycling programs for packaging and printed paper; and
- members of the public with an interest in recycling programs for packaging and printed paper.
- Tuesday, February 14, 2012
- 10 a.m. to 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm to approximately 4:00 p.m. PST
- 90 minute free time lunch break – for a list of local eateries click here.
Two reports have been posted on the websites of Recycling Council of British Columbia and BCStewards.com for stakeholder review. These reports are:
- Current System for Managing Residential Packaging and Printed Paper in British Columbia which presents information compiled during a recent data gathering process on the current collection and recycling system operating in BC; and
- Packaging and Printed Paper Stewardship Program Design Options which presents information on a range of possible program design options for the stewardship packaging and printed paper program.
Stakeholders are welcome to submit written comments for a period of two weeks following the workshop, to February 28, 2012.
For questions about the workshop and webcast registration process contact:
Ben Ramos, Recycling Council of British Columbia
Telephone: (604) 683-6009 ext. 314
For questions about the Phase 1 project contact:
Glenda Gies, Glenda Gies & Associates
Telephone: (905) 623-6437
For questions about MMBC contact:
Allen Langdon, Multi-Material British Columbia
Telephone (604) 633-3145
MMBC is a not-for-profit agency established under the British Columbia Society Act formed in anticipation of the requirement to develop, submit and implement a stewardship plan for packaging and printed paper. MMBC’s intention is to assume the role of a stewardship agency in order to discharge the obligations of PPP producers (brand owners and first sellers) under Schedule 5 of the Recycling Regulation. To view Schedule 5 of the Recycling Regulation, click here.